PHA-Exch> "Health Reform in Egypt" (4)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Oct 8 00:35:15 PDT 2007

From: Alaa Shukrallah alaashuk at yahoo.com

I was going through internet for papers on the health reform and found this
memorandum of understanding between the Egyptian Governement, the USAID and
the Pharmaceutical Campanies, in which they form a coalition in support of
the Egyptian Health Reform. I think it is very reviling.

*Health Reform Strengthened through MOU Signing***

 *For Immediate Release                                        *18 April
2007

*Press Release*

*EGYPT'S HEALTH REFORM STRENGTHENED WITH MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING SIGEND
BY USAID, THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND POPULATION, AND PRIVATE PHARMACEUTICAL
COMPANIES*

*CAIRO -* Yesterday a Memorandum of Understanding was signed for a Global
Development Alliance among USAID/Egypt, the Ministry of Health and
Population and the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufactures of America
(PhRMA), EIPICO Pharmaceuticals, Pharco Corporation and DGIMA
Pharmaceuticals.

The objectives of this alliance are to substantially improve the leadership,
managerial and financial skills of 270 hospital managers in Egypt over a 3
year period through executive education training program to take place in
Egypt.  For these 270 people who will be selected by the Ministry of Health
and Population, the training program will help them move  towards a
radically different healthcare future in Egypt and will prepare them to lead
the system towards that vision.  The training program will provide them with
new skills and will introduce new ways of thinking/acting based on
experiences from outside Egypt.

USAID will provide $1 million to support the activities of the alliance with
a match from the Pharmaceutical companies of an additional million dollars.
USAID will serve as the lead alliance member by engaging a United States
training provider in a contractual agreement and will oversee the delivery
of educational services.

"The Global Development Alliance (GDA) is USAID's commitment to change the
way we implement our assistance mandate. GDA mobilizes the ideas, efforts
and resources of governments, businesses and civil society by forging
public-private alliances to stimulate economic growth, develop businesses
and workforces, address health and environmental issues, and expand access
to education and technology," stated Dr. Kenneth Ellis, USAID Director in
Egypt.  He added that he is proud to be cooperating with the Ministry of
Health and Population and with private Egyptian pharmaceutical companies to
support Egypt's health reform efforts.

# # #

*Email: MAlfred at usaid.gov*