PHA-Exchange> From Alma-Ata to the Millennium Declaration - International Conference on Health for Development

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Aug 17 20:48:54 PDT 2007

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) ruglucia at paho.org
 EQUIDAD at listserv.paho.org

 *Buenos Aires** 30-15: From Alma-Ata to the Millennium Declaration
International Conference on Health for Development: Rights, Facts and
Realities*

*August 13-17, 2007 - Buenos Aires, Argentina*

Website: http://www.buenosaires30-15.gov.ar/home-ing.html

Close to the 30th anniversary of the Alma-Ata Declaration, under which the
WHO Member States adopted the Primary Health Care Strategy, the Ministry of
Health of the Argentina Republic fosters an international meeting with a
view to building up new consensus and promoting global and regional
alliances to strengthen health systems, aimed at contributing to the
enhancement of health policies for the attainment of the Millennium
Development Objectives in 2015.

*Issues*

·         Primary health care and health systems in the current global
context.

·         Human resources in health for the new millennium.

·         Equity in health and financing.

The Sessions Schedule includes:

·         Conferences presented by Health Ministers from Brazil, Chile,
Spain, Mexico, and Portugal on "New Experiences and Current Health Policies
in Primary Health Care".

·         Conferences with International Speakers.

·         Presentation by *20 countries of  National Policies* on Primary
Health Care focused on the following *issues*:

1.       Health and gender policy

2.       Environmental health policy

3.       Human resources policy on health

4.       Health policy for the epidemiological transition

5.       Drug policy

Download the PDF<http://www.buenosaires30-15.gov.ar/documentos/BsAs3015ing.PDF>

*Document: *EXECUTE SUMMARY. Preliminary document for discusión. "Towards
Integral Healthcare for
all"<http://www.buenosaires30-15.gov.ar/documentos/ATT00251.pdf>
.

*Dr Chan: high-quality health care must reach the poor*
16 August 2007 -- In her first major address on primary health care, WHO
Director-General Dr Margaret Chan stressed that this is the most promising
way to meet the Millennium Development Goals. "If we want better health to
work as a poverty reduction strategy, we must reach the poor. And we must do
so with appropriate, high-quality care," she told a primary health care
conference in Argentina.
Speech: http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2007/20070816_argentina/en/index.html

*Related Links:*

PAHO Web Page for the 25th Anniversary of the Alma-Ata
Declaration<http://www.paho.org/english/dd/pin/almaata25.htm>

PAHO Press release:  http://www.paho.org/English/DD/PIN/pr070816.htm

Country Experiences on Primary Health care:
http://www.buenosaires30-15.gov.ar/experiencias-ing.html