PHA-Exchange> [VNPH Family] [ESCR-Right-to-Health] History, principles, and practice of health and human rights

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Aug 16 19:12:29 PDT 2007

[Vietnam Public Health Forum]

-------------- next part --------------
From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) ruglucia at paho.org
 EQUIDAD at listserv.paho.org

 *Series, Health and Human Rights*

*Do human rights matter to health?
*Jerome Amir Singh, Michelle Govender and Edward J Mills
*The Lancet, Volume 370, Number 9586, 11 August 2007*

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673607612367/fulltext

Legal instruments and litigation as a way to enforce the rights to life and
to health is a relatively new strategy that is increasingly common. We show
how legal measures have been used to attain health and human rights with
case examples from India and South Africa that resulted in large
public-health benefits.
*This is the second in a Series of four papers about health and human rights
*

*History, principles, and practice of health and human rights**
*Sofia Gruskin,  Edward J Mills and  Daniel Tarantola
*The Lancet, Volume 370, Number 9585, 4 August 2007
*
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673607612008/fulltext

Individuals and populations suffer violations of their rights that affect
health and wellbeing. Health professionals have a part to play in reduction
and prevention of these violations and ensuring that health-related policies
and practices promote rights. This needs efforts in terms of advocacy,
application of legal standards, and public-health programming. We discuss
the changing views of human rights in the context of the HIV/AIDS epidemic
and propose further development of the right to health by increased
practice, evidence, and action.