PHA-Exchange> IMF Head de Rato resigning

David Woodward David.Woodward at neweconomics.org
Thu Jun 28 08:54:57 PDT 2007

Dear All

It seems we have another opportunity to challenge the US and EU dominance of the leadership of the Fund and Bank. With intersting timing, just days after the appointment of Robert Zoellick as head of the World Bank, IMF Managing Director Rodrigo de Rato has just announced that he will stand down, with effect from October, "for personal reaons" (http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/pr/2007/pr07147.htm <http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/pr/2007/pr07147.htm> ).

Of course, the Europeans will be reluctant to give away their "right" to appoint the head of the Fund just after the US have again appointed the Bank President - but the process was actually slightly more open in the IMF last time than it ever has been in the Bank; and it would surely undermine the credibility of the institutions still further to have two such travesties of democracy and due process in such rapid succession. So, any and all support that can be offered in highlighting the issues and pressing for an open, transparent, inclusive and meritocratic process, in which the preferences of all IMF members are given equal weight, would be very welcome!

David