PHA-Exchange> UN-BACKED $2 BILLION RESPONSE PLAN TO CONTAIN TB LAUNCHED

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Thu Jun 21 16:59:59 PDT 2007

 from Vern Weitzel <vern at coombs.anu.edu.au> -----

UN-BACKED $2 BILLION RESPONSE PLAN TO CONTAIN TB LAUNCHED
New York, Jun 21 2007  7:00PM

The United Nations World Health Organization (<"http://www.who.int/en/">WHO)
and
the Stop TB Partnership today launched a $2.15 billion two-year programme to
save over 100,000 lives.

The new initiative lays out steps to prevent, treat and control drug-resistant
tuberculosis (XDR-TB) and multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB).

If fully implemented, the plan, which sets out measures to allow laboratories
in
countries with high levels of the disease to increase their detection of MDR-
TB
cases, will lead to a ten-fold surge in the number of XDR-TB and MDR-TB
patients
who will be treated and cured under WHO guidelines.

It also underscores the urgency with which basic tuberculosis control and
investment in crucial areas – such as bolstering diagnostic laboratories,
increasing infection control and surveillance and stepping up funding for
research – are needed.

“XDR-TB is a threat to the security and stability of global health,” said
WHO
Director-General Margaret Chan. “This response plan identifies costs,
milestones
and priorities for health services that will continue to have an impact beyond
its two-year time line.”

The plan, called the Global MDR-TB and XDR-TB Response Plan 2007-2008, also
jumpstarts efforts towards reaching a 2015 goal of providing access to drugs
and
testing to all patients affected by these two disease types, potentially
rescuing the lives of 1.2 million people.

XDR-TB first came to the worldÂ’s attention in March 2006 when researchers
reported that emerging global threat posed by highly-resistant strains of the
disease, and six months later, there was a spate of cases resulting in over 50
deaths of “virtually untreatable” cases in an area of South Africa with a
high
prevalence of HIV.

Meanwhile, last month, an air passenger from the United States infected with
XDR-TB heightened concerns about the tuberculosis epidemic.

“We have sounded the alarm on the potential for an untreatable XDR-TB
epidemic,”
said Mario Raviglione, Director of the WHO Stop TB Department. “Today we
issue
our response on behalf of all patients and communities whose lives are most at
risk.”

The initiative is an ambitious one and must be “fully supported if we are to
keep a stranglehold on drug-resistant TB,” he added.

A key element of the scheme is a steady supply of quality drugs to treat
tuberculosis in underserved countries from the Global Drug Facility, which,
since its establishment in 2006, distributes more anti-tuberculosis drugs free
of charge to poor countries than any other group.
  2007-06-21 00:00:00.000