PHA-Exchange> DFID's strategy for improving health (2)

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sun Jun 17 11:34:03 PDT 2007

 from "S.K.Singh" <sambhavgwr at hotmail.com> -----

With some experience in seeing DFID support,  whether it is helping or not
helping, we feel that it is not money that is required. When existing
infrastructures and facilities are not performing to the lowest level,
adding more is helping very little. It is a common site in most PHC-based
systems that the doctor will be absent, or busy in private practice; most
pathology systems are non functional, existing buildings are not maintained
at all. Who stays at these facilities? Nobody. Then, by providing some
additional money, what will actually happen? Nothing has succeeded in making
it possible for most paramedics and doctors to stay at these centers over
night, or even 8 -9 hours/day.
Money is only part of the solution. The desire to work is disappearing in
Government hospitals. Most doctors who were appointed in newly created rural
centers have either left or are only going  some days and drawing salaries.
Surgical activities are already minimal. By adding advanced level systems
would not help much. If there is no power how will many of the electric
systems function?
Computers at many centers are non usable. Manual data are being prepared. Our
primary health data are totally false.
I have attended some DFID meetings at District level. It is nothing short of
chaos. Everything is around how much is spent not about what is performing,
who is performing and who is not and if not, why not?
sksingh