PHA-Exchange> Update on PHM activities at the US Social Forum

Sarah Shannon sarahs at hesperian.org
Wed Jun 13 18:18:08 PDT 2007

Dear friends,
I wanted to share with you this update on some of
the PHM activities we are organizing for the US
Social Forum later this month.  A special thank
you also to David Legge for his support for our
group working on organizing an IPHU to be held at the Social Forum.
Best wishes,

Sarah Shannon
PHM USA

PHM activities at the US Social Forum
June 27 - July 1, 2007  Atlanta, GA  <http://www.ussf2007.org>www.ussf2007.org

People’s Health Movement USA has been very busy
organizing Health Justice activities at the
upcoming US Social Forum. We have been taking
advantage of the opportunity to build greater
unity of vision and strategy among US health and
health care organizations by jointly planning
exciting events on health justice in the US.

Here are some of the highlights:

"Promoting Health for All," an International
People's Health University short course will be held from June 27-30,
2007, in conjunction with the US Social Forum.
Each day of the IPHU includes two hours of
presentations by faculty followed by two hours of
discussion and activities. Afternoons and
evenings are free for exploring the hundreds of
workshops and presentations at the US Social
Forum and networking with other leaders and activists.
Topics will include:
    * Healthcare as a human right—not a commodity to be bought or sold
    * Socio-economic, racial, and gender
inequalities as barriers to health and healthcare within the United States
    * Connections between health, trade, agriculture, and war
    * The global movement for equal access to health and healthcare
    * Practical skills for transforming knowledge into action
See details and application at
<http://www.phmovement.org/iphu>www.phmovement.org/iphu

Workshops and panels PHM has organized or contributed to:
2838
<http://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/2838>Defending
Our Water and Protecting Our Food: Bringing
Family Farmers and Water Rights Advocates Together
2841 <http://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/2841>Our
Bodies, Our Water: Our Right to Safe Water and Health
3005 <http://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/3005>A
human rights approach to health advocacy and activism
3177 <http://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/3177>Health
for All: a people’s vision for health and justice
3419 <http://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/3419>Access
to essential medicines: advocating locally and globally
3916 <http://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/3916>What Is Social Medicine?
840 <http://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/840>A Peoples’ Healthcare Truth Hearing

See all the sessions submitted at
<http://www.ussf2007.org/en/submitted_proposals>http://www.ussf2007.org/en/submitted_proposals

Other activities:
Wednesday, June 27th - Health organizations will
march together in the opening march.
Thursday, June 28th - Health and Healthcare day in the PPEHRC tent
Thursday, June 28th -- Michael Moore is doing a
preview showing of SICKO, his new film exposing
the failures of the US Healthcare system.
Friday, June 29th, 3pm - "March for Our Lives" to
CocaCola headquarters for the Right to Water
Ongoing - Working with Healthcare NOW, volunteers
will take testimonies from people who have been
affected by lack of health care and in favor of
HR 676, the expanded and improved Medicare for
all bill sponsored by John Conyers. Volunteers
are also needed for petition signiture gathering for HR676.

Let us know if you are planning to attend or if
you would like to help. Contact Zena at hesperian at hesperian.org

Sarah Shannon
Executive Director
Hesperian Foundation
1919 Addison St. #304
Berkeley, CA. 94704
(510) 845-1447 ext. 206

Inside Hesperian: Read personal accounts about
our projects, partners, and staff on our weblog:
http://hesperian.typepad.com/weblog