PHA-Exchange> Social determinants of Health Brasilia Meeting

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Wed May 2 14:21:43 PDT 2007

REGIONAL MEETING OF CONSULTATION WITH CIVIL SOCIETY
ON SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH
Brasilia, Brazil, April 12-14, 2007

LETTER OF BRASILIA

Mingaƒx to reduce health inequity in the Americas

We are a coalition of social and popular movements and organizations of women,
rural people, peoples of the forest, indigenous peoples and nations,
communities of African descent, Roma and other nomadic peoples, gender
identity and sexual orientation (GLBT) groups, territorial neighborhood
organizations, union movements of workers, academics, housing activists,
health service users, patients¡¦ leagues, professional guilds, and NGOs of
various parts of the Americas, from Canada to Chile, through Central America
and the Caribbean, gathering in Brasilia for the regional meeting of
consultation on social determinants of health, convened by the Governments of
Brazil and Chile, civil society organizations of the Americas, the OAS, PAHO,
and the WHO, to discuss the multiple health-related issues we face and the
need and importance of recognizing social determinants of health in order to
overcome them.

This meeting reaffirms profound dissatisfaction with the prevailing approach
to social and economic development in the Americas, an approach that, in
recent decades, has gained strength through a set of neoliberal policies
associated with globalization, and that must be replaced.  Based on market
logic, it privatizes and medicates health to the detriment of the right to
health, heightens human rights violations and inequalities that lead to health
inequity, weakens and impairs health and living conditions, and is entirely
avoidable and unfair.

We also reaffirm that this development approach reduces the role of the state
as a promoter of health, fragmenting and privatizing health systems, shrinking
public health resources, emphasizing a curative approach to individual
diseases.

The growth of this approach in the Americas heightens inequalities and social
exclusion, as evidenced by the concentration of wealth, land, and income and
the improper use of natural resources.  At the same time it heightens gender
inequality and discrimination for reasons of ethnicity, race, religion, and
sexual orientation and gender identity (GLBT), and increases all forms of
violence in both rural and urban areas, both public and private places.

It is clear to the civil society movements and organizations present at the
meeting that health is a universal human right, a duty of the state, which
requires a set of factors like food safety and security; decent work and
recognition of the value of childbearing; adequate income; land access, use,
and tenancy; sustainable management of natural and renewable resources; decent
housing in a healthy environment; democratic civic participation; universal
access to education and health services that are timely, humanized, of
quality, and culturally appropriate; inclusive government social policies;
social relations that are neither sexist nor racist; and cultural and
religious tolerance.  This means that health factors and the right to health
are indivisible and interdependent.
It is clear that, in order to make progress in overcoming health inequities,
it is essential to devise sustainable approaches to social and economic
development that safeguard human, civil, political, economic, social,
cultural, environmental, sexual, and reproductive rights; that government
adopt an approach that guarantees those rights; to promote sovereignty and
food security to eradicate hunger from the Hemisphere, promoting agrarian
reform that ensures land access, use, and tenancy, makes possible sustainable
agriculture, and preserves ownership of heritage seeds, in a context of rural
family farming appropriate to the climatic diversity of the region; to have
urban reform that promotes better distribution of urban land and the building
of socially just and environmentally sustainable cities; to democratize human
cultural capital through universal access to education; to bring about
participatory democracy; and to develop government policies that are
intersectoral, universal, integrated, equitable, and participatory.

Accordingly, we civil society organizations meeting in Brasilia believe it is
advisable to promote a common agenda concerning determinants of health that
strengthens and broadens activism, autonomy, and social mobilization¡Vat the
national and hemispheric levels¡Vto orient government and public policies
toward this integrated perspective on health factors.

Therefore, we call for a civil society alliance based on the ancestral
principles and knowledge of indigenous peoples and traditional communities
(Minga), to restore a social practice in which we all will feel invited and
committed to contribute our experience so as to strengthen action to transform
determinants of health and enforce demands for health-related rights. At the
same time we call upon national governments and international organizations to
respect the autonomy of social organizations ¡Vaccording to those same
principles ¡V and to commit their initiative, action, and resources to this
transformation.

As organizations present in multiple social sectors, we pledge to publicize
this discussion among popular organizations and social movements in the
Hemisphere, to broaden it to include their viewpoints and contributions, and
to enlist their active participation in the debate and in realizing the shared
agenda, building a hemispheric movement that will continue to grow.

We also call upon the region¡¦s governments and the international organizations
to commit themselves to this process, which began with the establishment of
the Commission on Social Determinants of Health, in 2005, and to move forward,
together with civil society, in firming up policies and programs that will
affect and transform those determinants.  The WHO, PAHO, and the OAS, along
with the region¡¦s governments, must continue to support and broaden this
process, facilitating broad and influential participation by the region¡¦s
civil society organizations.

Brasilia, April 14, 2007