PHA-Exchange> Announcement - PHM Activities Around the World Health Assembly, May 07

PHM Global Secretariat secretariat at phmovement.org
Mon Apr 30 12:57:45 PDT 2007

Announcement

>From the Global Secretariat of the People’s Health Movement (PHM)

Dear friends,

This is an announcement about a wide range of PHM activities being organized around the World Health Assembly. These activities have been planned with many PHM partners.

The PHM Global Secretariat wishes to know if you are planning to participate in the WHA 2007. If so, please inform us with your date of arrival as we really wish that you could be a part of the PHM delegation during the WHA. We can also facilitate your registration with the WHA through our accredited partners in Geneva. In case you need our help in the registration, please contact us latest by the 2nd of May with your name, title and country.

In solidarity,

PHM Global Secretariat

==================

The Activities of the People’s Health Movement Around the World Health Assembly, May 2007.

The World Health Organization (WHO) is holding its 60th World Health Assembly (WHA) from 14 to 23 May 2007.

The PHM is planning  a wide range of activities before and during the WHA. These activities will be carried out from 11 to 23 May 2007; our general aim is to convey people’s voices from all over the world to the government delegates attending the WHA.

Among the PHM planned activities are:

1.  A Workshop on “Health and Development in Preparation for the 60th World Health Assembly” (11-12 May 07)

 a.   Partners

The workshop is organized by the Third World Network (TWN) in collaboration with the People’s Health Movement (PHM), Health Action International (HAI) and the World Council for Churches (WCC). International, regional and local organizations participating in the 60th WHA are invited to attend this workshop.

b.    Purpose:

The overall goals of this workshop are:

i.     To identify and explore, collectively, the topics to be focused on in advocacy work during the WHA. We will try to identify which will be key topics and then try to reach consensus under each topic on key messages,  demands and  proposals to sharpen our impact during our participation at the WHA and beyond.

ii.     To agree on strategies for advocacy on these issues during the WHA including whom to negotiate with.

c.     Agenda

PREPARATORY MEETING ON ISSUES COMING UP AT THE 60TH WORLD HEALTH ASSEMBLY

11 to 12 MAY 2007 (Fri/Sat)

GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Draft Agenda

Friday 11th May 2007 (11h00 to 18h00)

11 – 1 pm                     Setting the Scene: Introduction of participants & Overview of Issues Coming Up at the World Health Assemblies

1 pm – 2 pm                 Lunch

2 – 3.30 pm                  Rational Use if Drugs & Antimicrobial Resistance

3.30 – 3.45 pm             Tea/Coffee Break

3.45 – 4.45 pm             Eradication of Small Pox Virus

4.45 – 6.00 pm             Avian Flu & Vaccines

7.30 pm                       Dinner

Saturday 12 May 2007 (09h30 – 18h00)

9.30 – 11.15                   Access to Medicines, Use of IP flexibilities and R&D for Health

11.15 am                       Tea/Coffee Break

11.30 am                       The Right to Health, Primary Health Care, Health Systems, & Social Determinants of Health

1 pm                              Lunch

2 – 3.30 pm                    Discussion on Various Diseases: Malaria/Tuberculosis

3.30 – 3.45 pm               Tea/Coffee Break

3.45  - 5.00 pm               Information Sharing among participants on other issues, activities and plans

5.00 - 6.00 pm                Conclusions on activities during the WHA and follow up plans

2. Participation in the WHA (14-23 May 07)

    a.     A Seminar on “How to support the WHO to keep to its fundamental principles”(15th May 07, 2-5 PM)

                                  i.           Partners

The Seminar will be jointly organized by Centre Europe-Tiers Monde (CETIM), PHM, and NGO Forum for Health. The agenda has been prepared at an initiative of CETIM in consultation with the other partners.

                                ii.           Preliminary Agenda

1.      People’s Health Movement and Alma Ata Principles:

2.      Threats to Alma Ata Principles in terms of globalization in the neolibral era:

3.      Strategies today to support WHO in keeping to fundamental principles:

4.      Why WHO thinks GMO food is safe and why WHO has to review its analysis on this point:

5.      Why and how WHO has to amend its agreement with IAEA and why such an agreement is dangerous:

b.    The advocacy work around and during the WHA (14-23 May 07)

                                  i.           Participating in different sessions.

                                ii.           Promoting the PHM positions whenever possible.

                              iii.           Meetings with delegates.

                               iv.           Having a PHM stall in which all PHM publications will be made available for all participants of the WHA.

3. PHM Coordinating Commission meeting (15-17 May 07 – afternoons – dates are subjected to change)

Purpose

i.     To achieve a detailed executive plan to follow up the results obtained through the PHM participation in the WHA – the plan should be time linked with clear responsibilities.

ii.     To identify the topics that should be given priority during the coming year after this gathering during the WHA.