PHA-Exchange> Food for challenging a conventional thought (3)

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Apr 27 18:26:02 PDT 2007

Human Rights Reader 159

Exploring a critical, systemic approach to health rights

Summary of a paper by Abhay Shukla * (part 3 of 4)

Health rights of social groups with special health needs

20. Any system of rights is relevant only if it benefits the most vulnerable
or deprived. The argument is not for a proliferation of special programmes for
these groups grafted onto a weak health system, but rather integrating special
services for them into a strengthened health care system.

21. We are talking here of the  right to health care of women, of children,
the health rights of HIV-AIDS affected persons, of persons with mental health
problems, of differently abled persons, of unorganised sector workers, of
urban deprived communities, and of the health rights of people in conflict
situations, of people displaced, of migrants, of ethnic minorities.

User fees as a violation of health rights

22. User fees tend to infringe on the health rights of the poor by reducing
their utilisation of health services; ‘exclusion mechanisms’ (waivers) for the
poor have long shown they do not work.  Exemption mechanisms do not actually
benefit the poor, but are often cornered by other locally more powerful
groups. [The same is true for the so often recommended targeting of
interventions to the poorest of the poor].
In short, user fees are seen as a regressive form of health care financing.
Public-private partnerships (PPPs): A significant erosion of health rights
23. Ample evidence exists of the often poor and irrational quality of private
services. Private practitioners frequently prescribe irrational drugs and
diagnostic tests. Hence the insistence on an effective public regulation of
the sector.

24. From a health rights perspective, ‘franchising’ and
particularly  ‘outsourcing’ of public health care functions, are to definitely
be considered a regressive step as well. Handing over major functions to the
private sector may actually be a way of diluting the responsibility of the
public health system. Any such dilution will have adverse consequences for
poor people’s health rights.

25. The challenge before the Health for All movement now is to simultaneously
present a people’s response/alternative to the large scale health system
reorganisation, as well as to challenge all privatisation-oriented measures
while continuing to press for the fulfilment of universal access to health.

26. The right to guaranteed services will only remain on paper if not
persistently demanded and operationalised. People’s organisations need to
watch the reorganisation process --supporting its positive aspects while
critiquing the negative ones and posing alternatives at various levels as
necessary. For example, drawing on the Indian experience, a People’s Rural
Health Watch can be conceived of.

27. In our efforts to reform the system, we have to avoid two extremes
regarding restructuring measures: Avoid a blanket rejection which might lead
us into isolated passivity and an inability to influence this process; and
avoid the danger of cooption and absorption into the dominant health system;
we have to keep continuously critiquing and exposing its various negative
aspects.

28. As said, in this struggle for the RTH, we need to target not only the
local, but also the higher level decision makers. The only way to effectively
challenge the overall thrust of health policies -- and pressing for the
substantial strengthening of health care in the public sector while
confronting the privatization agenda-- is by influencing the central political
decision-making process. This includes concerted attempts to dialogue with
political parties. We have to push for key positive changes and block
retrogressive steps --both of the preceding by appropriately intervening in
the political space.

29. As also said, along with our critiques, it is a must that we develop and
present well thought-out alternative plans. Such ‘People’s Health Plans’ could
be developed over a period of time. They would be a logical and practically
elaborated sequel to the existing People’s Charter for Health of the People’s
Health Movement (www.phmovement.org ).

30. Moving from an initial situation of ‘talking-among-ourselves’ to ‘talking-
to-implementing-officials’ (in the form of direct dialogues and of public
hearings) will confront us with the need to --from a position of greater power-
- talk to the political decision makers. Moving from a critique of the current
health system deficiencies to a broad vision of an alternative (in the said
People’s Health Plan), we will respond to the need of posing comprehensive and
detailed alternative demands and strategies. Building upon such a more
democratic focus on the health-system-to-be, will also require that we develop
parallel effective and practical strategies to address the key social
determinants of health (i.e., water, food, housing, a safe environment,
etc.).
(contd.)

Claudio Schuftan, Ho Chi Minh City
claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
*: Adapted from Abhay Shukla’s “A compiled review of the rights approach to
health and health care”, submitted for publication to ‘Beyond the Circle’,
India, 2007. This summary includes adaptations of certain quotations from
other authors, references for which can be found in the full article.