PHA-Exchange> Report back on Human Right to Water Sign-On

Anil Naidoo anaidoo at canadians.org
Mon Apr 16 06:33:09 PDT 2007

Well done!...

165 Organizations from 45 countries signed the Human Right to Water Sign-on letter. With scores of individual signatories as well.

This is very impressive, given the very tight timelines for sign-on - really only a couple of work days, so regrets to those who could not meet the deadline, but please still do sign-on if you can...

The declaration and signatories were sent to the Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights (OHCHR) yesterday, but I have been asked by the High Commissioner to put the statement into a PDF and resend it for inclusion on their website... and I will not be able to do this until tomorrow.

Even beyond this, we will still be distributing the complete list and final text to our networks in a couple of days and would be great for your organization to appear.

I regret not yet being able to have responded to all of your wonderful comments. Be assured, however, your constructive suggestions around the WTO and trade, pre-paid water meters, the role of the market etc. were mentioned, in my opening note to the Commissioner, as having been mentioned by groups and being strong points for her to consider, even though they are not explicitly included in the body of the declaration.

The individual submission from the Blue Planet Project - Council of Canadians is also very much focused on some of these issues and I will share that with you this week as well.

Again, many thanks to all, this is only one step of many we are taking together to assure water justice.

All of our areas of struggle are linked and I hope that many will continue assisting in this campaign to ensure the water corporations, and the countries which support them, are not allowed to define and constrain the scope of the right to water.

Much of this will be playing out at the UN Human Rights Council in September so it is probably a good idea for us to consider strategies to press those governments who sit on that Council...I have attached a list below, but let's talk more fully about this another time....

Very much looking forward to continuing to strengthen the links between health and water!

In Solidarity,

Anil Naidoo
Blue Planet Project

Algeria 	2007