PHA-Exchange> 'Human genes rice' not the solution fordiarrhoea inchildren (2)

claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Tue Apr 3 14:34:42 PDT 2007

From: <tagwiram at africau.ac.zw>

Points to consider over "Human gene rice" Possible effects on Africa and
the children we all say we want to save.

1. Genetically engineered rice will cross with indigenous rice species
leaving resorce poor farmers dependent on foreign seed that they may not
even afford. One of the regions most affected by diarrhea diseases is the
African region. The African way of living requires that families produce
preserve and use their own seed year after year. We should never forget
that some of the interventions imposed on communities (even if they were
well meant) may result in more suffering through poverty hunger and
immature deaths than was there before the intervention

2. The solution for diarrhea in children has been well articulated by the
Alma Ata resolutions and all efforts must be to achieve what the world
resolved and not derail it. When dealing with issues of this magnitude
were poor people who also happen to be less educated are involved,
research desire should not be put before ethical considerations.

Margaret