PHA-Exchange> The Numbers in Iraq

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Mar 30 04:19:52 PDT 2007

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)
 EQUIDAD at LISTSERV.PAHO.ORG

The Numbers

Dale Keiger senior writer, Johns Hopkins Magazine. February 2007

When Johns Hopkins epidemiologists set out to study the war in Iraq, they did not anticipate that their findings would be so disturbing, or so controversial

http://www.jhu.edu/~jhumag/0207web/number.html

"..In April of last year, Gilbert H. Burnham and Leslie F. Roberts, A&S '92 (PhD), began finalizing plans for some new epidemiology. There was nothing notable in that; Burnham and Roberts, at the time both researchers at Johns Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health, were epidemiologists. What was notable was the subject. They would not be studying the spread of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa, or incidence of cholera in Bangladeshi villages. They meant to conduct epidemiological research on the war in Iraq. They would treat the war as a public health catastrophe, and apply epidemiological methods to answer a question essential to an occupying power with the legal obligation to protect the occupied: What had happened to the Iraqi people after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion?

A monstrous war crime

With more than 650,000 civilians dead in Iraq, our government must take responsibility for its lies

Richard Horton
Wednesday March 28, 2007 The Guardian

"..Our collective failure has been to take our political leaders at their word. This week the BBC reported that the government's own scientists advised ministers that the Johns Hopkins study on Iraq civilian mortality was accurate and reliable, following a freedom of information request by the reporter Owen Bennett-Jones. This paper was published in the Lancet last October. It estimated that 650,000 Iraqi civilians had died since the American and British led invasion in March 2003..."