PHA-Exchange> Food for a quarantined thought (2)

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sun Mar 11 00:29:14 PST 2007

From: George Kent

The quarantining issue falls under the broader question of when it might be permissible to coerce individuals in order to protect their own health or the health of others. Further insight on this issue may be found in:

Sub-Commission (UN Sub-Commission on Promotion and Protection of Human Rights)(1985) Siracusa Principles on the Limitation and Derogation of Provisions in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Annex, UN doc. E/CN.4/1985/4. http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/siracusaprinciples.html

This Sub-Commission was formerly the Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities.

We tend to assume that health care treatments normally should be based on informed consent, but often that principle is not respected. Moreover, to my knowledge that principle is not explicitly stated anywhere in human rights law.

Coercion in health care is a huge issue that comes up often. It deserves much more attention than it has gotten so far.