PHA-Exchange> 2007 Essay Competition

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Mar 2 02:56:40 PST 2007

2007 Essay CompetitionFrom: Ravi Narayan
I am delighted to tell you that we have just launched the second essay competition for the under-30s jointly sponsored by the Lancet and the Global Forum for Health Research. The competition is now open, through our website, and by this message I am asking for your help to pass on the message to all relevant networks and contact groups you may have. The theme of the competition is that of the annual meeting, Equitable access: research challenges for health in developing countries, and the deadline for submissions is 20 April 2007.
Translations of the announcement in French, Portuguese and Spanish are under way and we will put these up on our website and use them broadly for promotion as of the beginning of next week. We will also produce a text in Chinese as soon as possible.

Please encourage the best young creative minds you know to send us a text. We are hoping for entries covering the a broad interpretation of the theme from all parts of the world. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to come back to me.

Susan Jupp

Head, Communications and Information

Global Forum for Health Research

www.globalforumhealth.org

Forum 11, Beijing, China, 29 October to 2 November 2007
Equitable access: research challenges for health in developing countries

Young voices in research for health

The Global Forum for Health Research and The Lancet

are sponsoring their second joint essay competition

on the occasion of Forum 11

the 2007 annual meeting of the Global Forum for Health Research

in Beijing, People's Republic of China, 29 October to 2 November 2007.

Entries are invited from young professionals

working in or interested in the broad spectrum of health research for development

relating to some aspect of the overall theme of Forum 11

Equitable access: research challenges for health in developing countries

Rules, guidelines, principles, timeframe and prizes

·       Essays should be no more than 1500 words and should be written in English.

·       Essays must be based on the author's own ideas and not be derived from another source.

·       They should not have been previously published.

·       They should include original, even provocative ideas and not be technical or academic texts: tables, charts, figures and references are probably not necessary.

·       Authors are free to be idealistic, passionate, to take established practices to task, albeit in a constructive fashion.

·       Entries are individual.

·       Each author may submit one essay only.

·       Authors should have been born on or after 1 January 1977.

·       The deadline for receipt of entries is 20 April 2007.

·       A shortlist will be announced by the end of June. Shortlisted authors will be asked to provide a high quality photograph and to confirm original authorship and date of birth.

·       The winners will be notified by the beginning of August 2007. The judges' decision will be final.

·       A selection of shortlisted essays will be published in an anthology.

·       Winning essays will also be published on the Lancet website and their authors invited to take part in Forum 11 with all expenses paid.

Staff members of the Global Forum or of the Lancet or their immediate families are ineligible to enter the competition, as are authors of commended and winning entries from 2006.

For full details and submission of entries, see

www.globalforumhealth.org.