PHA-Exchange> Bangkok Charter discourse analysis

Christine Porter cp226 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 18 13:58:25 PST 2007

Since I open this paper with an excerpt of PHA's analysis of the Bangkok
Charter for Health Promotion, I thought I'd send its link to the list
while it is still freely available online, before it appears in print.

Comments welcome.
Kind regards,
Christine

http://heapro.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/dal037?ijkey=RHzvrvca7ZSFFuL&keytype=ref
Journal: Health Promotion International
Title: Ottawa to Bangkok: changing health promotion discourse
Abstract: The discourse of the 2005 Bangkok Charter for Health Promotion
in a Globalized World represents a radical
departure from that of the Ottawa Charter that, in 1986, staked a place
for the health promotion field in
mainstream public health. Via a critical analysis of the discourse in
these two Charters, this paper illustrates a
shift from a ‘new social movements’ discourse of ecosocial justice in
Ottawa to a ‘new capitalist’ discourse
of law and economics in Bangkok.
The Bangkok Charter’s content may identify ‘actions, commitments and
pledges required to address the determinants
of health in a globalized world through health promotion’, but this
paper shows how its discourse works to naturalize and perpetuate many of
detrimental determinants associated with ‘globalization’.

-------
Christine Porter

http://myprofile.cos.com/c_porter
cp226 at cornell.edu