PHA-Exchange> Hope for PHC

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sat Jan 6 09:04:11 PST 2007

 from Fran Baum <fran.baum at flinders.edu.au> -----

Here is Dr Margaret Chan's speech to the WHO staff. You can
read the full speech through this link
http://www.who.int/dg/chan/speeches/2007/address.to.staff/en/index.html

In this speech she says

Disease-specific initiatives have their place. I want to emphasize
this point. But a primary health care approach is essential to ensure
that activities are better integrated. What we need to see is close
interaction between programmes to bring multiple health benefits.
There is no net gain when a country moves forward on some
disease-specific targets only to fall backwards on many other basic
indicators for health (Chan, 2007)
She also stresses the importance of health system strengthening in
Africa and of supporting women.