PHA-Exchange> Urgent Right to Water Sign-on!!!!

Tawnia Queen phm at hesperian.org
Mon Dec 4 16:39:11 PST 2006

>Please post this widely to your networks!
>

>We are writing to ask you to urgently support the following
>statement on the right to water, in advance of the Second Summit of
>Heads of States of the Community of South American Nations, taking
>place in Cochabamba, Bolivia, Dec. 8-9, 2006.
>

>The sign-on statement and list of signatories will be distributed to
>all 12 heads of state by our friends in Bolivia.
>

>It is our intention to also take out a full page advertisement in
>the Cochabamba newspaper to highlight our collective efforts -
>included at the bottom will be the names and countries of all
>signatories. Please ensure your organization is represented in this
>effort by responding promptly. The deadline for sign-on is Dec.7th
>
>If you want to be part of this exciting initiative please respond
>quickly to Roberto Cruz at <mailto:rcruz at magma.ca>rcruz at magma.ca  -
>please include the name of your organisation and your country, this
>will be used in the ad to show the international solidarity and
>strength of our movement.
>

>Statement:
>

>We, the undersigned organizations, endorse the efforts to establish
>water as a human right, outlined in the proposal from President Eva
>Morales to the head of states and people of South America, dated
>October 2, 2006
>

>This proposal calls for a:
>

>South American convention for human rights and access for all living
>beings to water. As a region privileged with 27% of fresh water
>supplies in the world, we need to discuss and approve a South
>American Convention on Water that guarantees access to this vital
>resource to all living beings. We need to preserve water, in its
>different uses, from processes of privatizations and the market
>logic that are imposed in trade agreements. I am convinced that this
>South American treaty on Water would be a decisive step towards a
>Global Convention on Water.
>
>Our organizations endorse this position and insist governments work
>with social movements to ensure democratic participation in reaching
>these ends. We renew our call for an international water convention
>which guarantees people's right to water, protects our environment,
>prevents interference and abuses by corporations, trade agreements
>and international financial institutions, and supports governments
>to meet this responsibility.
>We affirm that water belongs to the earth and all species for all
>time, It is an inalienable human right and a public trust to be
>protected and nurtured by all peoples, communities and nations.
>

>Finally, we proclaim that the management and protection of the
>world's water resources must absolutely be based on the principles
>of justice, solidarity, reciprocity, equity, diversity, and
>sustainability, because water is a fundamental right for humans and
>all living things.
>

>Signed;

Jeff Conant, Project Coordinator,
A Community Guide to Environmental Health
Hesperian Foundation - Publishing for Community Health and Empowerment

Telephone in New Mexico:
Home: 505 776 8279/ Cell: 505 770 2829

Defend people's right to water!
Please join the People's Health Movement and other organizations in
working toward a water-secure future by signing the People's
Statement on the Right to Water.
<http://www.righttowater.net/>www.righttowater.net

Defend people's right to water!
Please join the People's Health Movement and other organizations in
working toward a water-secure future by signing the People's
Statement on the Right to Water.
<http://www.righttowater.net/>www.righttowater.net

HEALTH FOR ALL NOW !
Tawnia Queen
International Publications Associate
People's Health Movement Advocate (North American Regional Circle)
Hesperian Foundation
1919 Addison St. #304
Berkeley, CA. 94704
(510)845-1447 ext. 203