PHA-Exchange> How the world can conquer AIDS - By Kofi A. Annan

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Thu Nov 30 00:50:49 PST 2006

from Vern Weitzel <vern at coombs.anu.edu.au> -----

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/11/how_the_world_c.html#more

How the world can conquer AIDS

By Kofi A. Annan

In the 25 years since the first case was reported, AIDS has changed the world.
It has killed 25
million people and infected 40 million more. It has become the world's leading
cause of death among
both women and men ages 15 to 59. It has inflicted the single greatest
reversal in the history of
human development. In other words, it has become the greatest challenge of our
generation.

(AFP/Getty Images)

For far too long, the world was in denial. But over the past 10 years,
attitudes have changed. The
world has started to take the fight against AIDS as seriously as it deserves.

Financial resources are being committed as never before, people have access to
anti-retroviral
treatment as never before, and several countries are managing to fight the
spread as never before.
Now, as the number of infections continues unabated, we need to mobilize
political will as never before.

The creation of UNAIDS a decade ago, bringing together the strengths and
resources of many different
parts of the United Nations family, was a milestone in transforming the way
the world responds to
AIDS. And five years ago, all U.N. member states reached a new milestone by
adopting the Declaration
of Commitment — containing specific, far-reaching and time-bound targets for
fighting the epidemic.

My priority

That same year, as I made HIV/AIDS a priority in my work as secretary-general,
I called for the
creation of a "war chest" of an additional $7 billion to $10 billion a year.
Today, I am deeply
proud to be patron of The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria,
which has channeled
almost $3 billion to programs across the globe. Recently, we have seen
significant additional
funding from bilateral donors, national treasuries, civil society and other
sources. But much more
is needed; by 2010, total needs for a comprehensive AIDS response will exceed
$20 billion a year.

Because the response has started to gain real momentum, the stakes are higher
now than ever. We
cannot risk letting the advances that have been achieved unravel; we must not
jeopardize the heroic
efforts of so many. The challenge now is to deliver on all the promises that
governments have made.
Leaders must hold themselves accountable — and be held accountable by all of
us.

Accountability — the theme of World AIDS Day on Friday — requires every
president and prime
minister, every parliamentarian and politician, to decide and declare
that "AIDS stops with me." It
requires them to strengthen protection for all vulnerable groups — whether
people living with HIV,
young people, sex workers, injecting drug users, or men who have sex with men.
It requires them to
work hand in hand with civil society groups, who are so crucial to the
struggle. It requires them to
work for real, positive change that will transform relations between women and
men at all levels of
society.

What is required of us

But accountability applies not only to those who hold positions of power. It
also applies to all of
us. It requires business leaders to work for HIV prevention in the workplace
and in the wider
community, and to care for affected workers and their families. It requires
health workers,
community leaders and faith-based groups to listen and care, without passing
judgment. It requires
fathers, husbands, sons and brothers to support and affirm the rights of
women. It requires teachers
to nurture the dreams and aspirations of girls. It requires men to help ensure
that other men assume
their responsibility — and understand that real manhood means protecting
others from risk. It
requires every one of us to help bring AIDS out of the shadows, and spread the
message that silence
is death.

I will soon be stepping down as secretary-general of the United Nations. But
as long as I have
strength, I will keep spreading that message. That is why World AIDS Day will
always be special to me.

On this World AIDS Day, let us vow to keep the promise — not only this day,
or this year, or next
year — but every day, until the epidemic is conquered.

Kofi A. Annan is secretary-general of the United Nations.