PHA-Exchange> Oppose the Nicaraguan Abortion Ban!

Marcy Bloom marcybloom at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 10:09:57 PST 2006

 <http://www.latinainstitute.org>

Oppose the Nicaraguan Abortion Ban!

  <http://img.getactivehub.com/alert_images/act_now.gif>

On October 26, 2006, the Nicaraguan Congress voted to ban ALL abortions,
even those that could save the life of a woman.  Nicaragua has had on the
books an exception to the abortion ban that stated that the procedure could
be performed if three doctors certify that a woman's life or health is at
risk.  If Nicaraguan President Enrique Bolaños signs this bill into law,
this exception will be eliminated.  President Bolaños also proposes to
increase prison sentences for abortion: anywhere from 10 to 30 years for
women who have an abortion as well as those who assist her.

So what does this mean for Latinas in the U.S.?  We know that our sisters in
Latin America live in a political and social climate hostile to protecting
their reproductive rights.  Because of this climate, many Latinas come to
the U.S. confused, doubtful and fearful to get an abortion but also may
hesitate accessing any important reproductive health care service.
Therefore Nicaragua's ban is not only curbing the right of Latina immigrants
to exercise reproductive freedom in their home countries but also here in
the U.S.  This is unacceptable! The right to reproductive health is our
human right. No Latina should fear making informed decisions about her body
and her health.  But the Nicaraguan ban sends a clear message to Latinas
everywhere:  our bodies are only vessels for other people's life choices. We
have to let people know that we make our own choices.

So what can you do?

Contact each of the Nicaraguan legislators who voted for the bill expressing
your dismay, disgust, alarm, or whatever you are feeling. Let them know that
our bodies and our choices are controlled by us.

 <http://ga4.org/campaign/nicaraguan_abortion_ban/sn86se2y53bktn?>

Send a letter to the following decision maker(s):
Nicaraguan Legislators
Nicaraguan Legislators II

Below is the sample letter:

Subject: Me opongo a la prohibicion del aborto!

Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

Por medio de esta carta deseo manifestarle que me opongo a la prohibicion
del aborto en cualquier circunstancia. Aunque yo vivo en los Estados Unidos
de America (EE.UU.), actualmente todos nosotros vivimos en una comunidad
global donde las restricciones del acceso a los servicios reproductivos
afectan el acceso de estos servicios a las mujeres en otros paises del
mundo.

Las prohibiciones contra el aborto como la prohibicion propuesta por el
Congreso Nicaraguense crean un ambiente politico, economico y social que
fomentan confusion, duda, y mas que todo, temor en las mujeres que quieren
acceder a los servicios reproductivos que necesitan cuando ellas trabajan y
viven en los EE.UU. Por lo tanto, la prohibicion contra el aborto en
Nicaragua no solo traera consecuencias nefastas para la proteccion de los
derechos reproductivos de las mujeres nicaraguenses en su pais, sino tambien
para las mujeres Latinas en los EE.UU. Por lo tanto, le escribo para decirle
que yo tengo interes no solo en mi propi

Sincerely,

 <http://ga4.org/campaign/nicaraguan_abortion_ban/sn86se2y53bktn?>
Take Action!

Instructions:
 <http://ga4.org/campaign/nicaraguan_abortion_ban/sn86se2y53bktn?> Click
here to take action on this issue or choose the "Reply to Sender" option on
your email program.

Tell-A-Friend:
Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
 <http://ga4.org/campaign/nicaraguan_abortion_ban/forward/sn86se2y53bktn?>
Tell-a-Friend!

What's At Stake:

[...]

Campaign Expiration Date:
November 14, 2006

  _____

If you received this message from a friend, you can
<http://ga4.org/nlirh/join.html?r=W11J9w51vRU1E> sign up for National Latina
Institute for Reproductive Health.

   Visit your  <http://ga4.org/nlirh/smp.tcl?nkey=sn86se2y53bktn&>
subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences
or update your personal profile. To stop ALL email from National Latina
Institute for Reproductive Health, click to
<http://ga4.org/nlirh/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=sn86se2y53bkt
n&> remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove or
unsubscribe" in the subject line).

 <http://www.getactive.com>
  <http://ga4.org/nlor/sn86se2y53bktn>