PHA-Exchange> Country circles for PHM

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Tue Oct 17 19:31:24 PDT 2006

Setting up national PHM circles:

You are part of the pha-exch family close to 2200 strong.

And you are in, I calculate, over 65 countries.

I assume you are all 'PHM at heart'.

But we do not have national PHM chapters (we call them 'circles') in all your countries.

Now with the Right to Health and Health Care Campaign about to be launched, what a better time to get organized, i.e. NOW.

We absolutely need this.

In Cuenca, we passed important action-oriented resolutions that need to result in action.yesterday!

So we need to keep up the steady momentum achieved in Ecuador!

Our Movement will regress to paper tiger strength if we do not pay more attention to organizing formally in every country we have members.

 [Remember: "Divided we beg.united we demand"].

What does this mean for YOU?

It means you have to pick up the phone and sit in front of your computer to make the key 15 phone calls and write the 20 key emails to like-minded fellow  travelers on the road of equity in health and of health as a human right. and 35 is already a crowd.

When calling/writing remember PHM is not an NGO. We are a network of individuals AND organizations; so call both.

We are particularly interested in having grassroots organizations joining formally.

Set a date and a venue as you call/write and urge all to come.

In the meantime, go to www.phmovement.org  and download the People's Charter for Health (in your local language! --we have it in over 40 languages already) ad the Cuenca Declaration  and make (35?) copies.

Also print the Right to Health and Health Care Campaign proposal and assessment guide, and --voila!-- you have the agenda for your first meeting.

(Actually, the website has so much good material that you have agendas for a dozen PHM circle meetings.Ah!  And make sure 'your 35' subscribe to pha-exch by writing to me at claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn .

During the meeting, make the 35 (or more) regular visitors of the PHM website to keep informed of fast changing facts about, now, the election of the new DG  of WHO.

 (You/they should also visit www.iphcglobal.org for other good info for your circle).

As you succeed in your inaugural meeting, take all the notes necessary and list the attendees and share the info electronically with our PHM secretariat in Cairo at secretariat at phmovement.org .

Am I in an optimistic mood today?

You bet!

Because I trust you have had enough and do not want to take all this injustice in health any longer..and that means getting organized in all countries we have a presence.

Do not disappoint us.

Phone and write today.

In solidarity with you and with those who suffer under injustices in health,

Claudio

(your moderator)