PHA-Exchange> Activists/academics in race/gender/environmental studies? job ad

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Thu Sep 7 02:31:17 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Abraham Thomas
To: claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Cc: Wim De Ceukelaire
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 3:04 PM
Subject: Activists/academics in race/gender/environmental studies? job ad

for exchange

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: lourdes beneria <lb21 at cornell.edu>
Date: Sep 6, 2006 10:32 PM
Subject: Fwd: [Wigsat-l] activists/academics in
race/gender/environmental studies? job ad
To: GENDER-L <GENDER-L at cornell.edu>, CRP-L < CRP-L at cornell.edu>

Hi,
If you know activists or academics that would be interested in
teaching/advocating/researching full-time about race, gender,
colonization, and environmental policies as they affect social
justice and public health, please forward the job advertisement below
to them. We would also be grateful if you would forward this
advertisement to any graduate programs in the third world where there
might be advanced graduate students who would be interested in
teaching in the United States on these topics. We will consider
activists who do not have a Ph.D. if they have an outstanding record
of NGO or other advocacy or policy work.

Although our deadline is October 1 this year, we will consider
applications after that date but we expect to complete the hiring by
the end of October.

Please contact me if you have any questions or need furhter informaiton.
Thank you.
Joe Parker
International and Intercultural Studies/Gender and Feminist Studies
Pitzer College
Los Angeles, California

Teaching Job description:
ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES/INTERNATIONAL INTERCULTURAL STUDIES

Pitzer College invites applications for a full-time, tenure track
Assistant Professor in Environmental Studies and International and
Intercultural Studies to begin in the academic year 2007-2008. This
is a joint position with an emphasis in comparative environmental
policy and social justice. We are interested in candidates with
expertise in urban environmental issues, environmental justice,
comparative policy analysis, natural resource policy, and global and
local connections.

Candidates should have a commitment to undergraduate teaching at a
liberal arts college and are expected to engage in research and
publication. Preference will be given to those candidates who have
completed the Ph.D. and who have teaching experience. Pitzer College,
a member of the Claremont Colleges, has a strong institutional
commitment to the principles of diversity in all areas and strongly
encourages candidates from underrepresented social groups. We favor
candidates who can contribute to the College's distinctive
educational objectives, which promote interdisciplinary perspectives,
intercultural understanding, and concern with social responsibility
and the ethical implications of knowledge and action. Pitzer College
is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. For the
successful applicant with the relevant interests, affiliations are
possible with the intercollegiate departments of Asian American
Studies, Black Studies, Chicano/Latino Studies, and/or Women's
Studies.

To apply, send letter of application, curriculum vitae, selected
evidence of excellence in teaching and research, statement of
teaching philosophy, a description of your research, and three
letters of recommendation to Alan Jones, Dean of Faculty, 1050 N.
Mills Ave., Claremont, CA, 91711. The deadline for applying is
October 1, 2006, or until position is filled.