PHA-Exchange> Books that have changed health services and health care policy

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Aug 11 02:34:21 PDT 2006

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)
 EQUIDAD at LISTSERV.PAHO.ORG

Books that have changed health services and health care policy

Nick Black, Professor, Health Services Research Unit, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK;

Duncan Neuhauser, Professor Health Management, Epidemiology & Biostatistics Department, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Journal of Health Services Research and Policy - Vol 11 No 3 July 2006

web link: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/rsm/jhsrp/2006/00000011/00000003/art00011

 "..

Is this exercise any more than a game played by academics? While we make no great claims for its importance, let alone validity, we believe that an accepted canon of influential books is among the factors which define an intellectual field, along with its practitioners, their society memberships, the content of their journals, their citation networks, their accepted theory, commonly used research methods, their standard textbooks and their area of inquiry. We would be

interested in people's reactions and comments..."

The books represented the full range of disciplines that contribute to research on health services and extended in age from Hippocrates to a book published in 2004. The majority (77%) were published in the last 35 years.