PHA-Exchange> Re: Food for a faceless and cozy thought

George Kent kent at hawaii.edu
Tue May 2 11:39:14 PDT 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 10:14 PM, Claudio wrote:

>  the World Development Report 2006 (WB, 2006) makes a remarkable
> statement. It says that economic inequality results from unfair
> power structures and political influence and an absence of
> corrective measures of market failures.

This is remarkable not only because the World Bank fails to propose
remedies, but, more fundamentally, it is remarkable  because it fails
to recognize the way in which free markets necessarily and
inescapably produce economic inequality. Permit me to quote from p.
19 of my book, Children in the International Political Economy:

"The ordinary, normal working of the market system creates wealth,
but it also leads to poverty, and thus to concentration and to
steadily widening gaps. The way in which the market system
concentrates wealth and power in the hands of some and impoverishes
others is very straightforward. The elementary transaction of the
market system is the bargain, the negotiated exchange. One's
bargaining strength depends on the quality of one's alternatives.
Some people (or companies, or nations) are stronger than others
because they have better options.

Those who have greater bargaining strength tend to gain more out of
each transaction than those who have lesser bargaining strength.
Thus, over repeated transactions, stronger parties systematically
enlarge their advantages over weaker parties. Bargainers do not move
to an equilibrium at which the benefits are equally distributed, but
instead move apart, with the gap between them steadily widening.
Asymmetrical exchange feeds on itself, making the situaiton more and
more asymmetrical."

No wonder it is the rich who are the strongest advocates of "free"
markets.

Aloha, George

Professor George Kent
Department of Political Science
University of Hawai'i
Honolulu, Hawai'i 96822
USA

Phone:    1 808 396-9422
Cell:         1 808 389-9422
Fax:          1 808 956-6877
Email:       kent at hawaii.edu
Website:   http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kent
Skype ID: geokent

New book: Freedom from Want: The Human Right to Adequate Food
http://press.georgetown.edu/detail.html?id=1589010566