PHA-Exchange> New Report: "Growth Isn't Working"

David Woodward David.Woodward at neweconomics.org
Mon Jan 30 09:05:31 PST 2006

nef (the new economics foundation's) s latest report, Growth isn't
Working <http://www.neweconomics.org/gen/news_growthisntworking.aspx> ,
the first in our series on "Rethinking Poverty" can be found on our
website at:
http://www.neweconomics.org/gen/z_sys_publicationdetail.aspx?pid=219
<http://www.neweconomics.org/gen/z_sys_publicationdetail.aspx?pid=219> .

"Growth isn't working" presents new analysis from nef, showing that just
60 cents in every $100 of extra income generated by global economic
growth contributes to poverty reduction between 1990 and 2001. This is
73 percent less even than in the 1980s - the "lost decade for
development" - when the figure was $2.20. It also means that it takes
$166 of extra production and consumption globally to achieve each $1 of
poverty reduction. Coupled with the disproportionate share of the poor
in the environmental costs of growth, these findings cast serious doubt
on global growth as a viable path to poverty reduction within global
environmental constraints; and it implies a much greater emphasis on the
effects of global economic policies on income distribution, between
countries as well as within them.

Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested, and
to any relevant list-serves - and please let us know if you would like
to be added to our mailing list for future publications.

David Woodward
Head, New Global Economy programme

Think Tank of the Year 2002/03
If you believe in the work nef does, please become a supporter. Your
support is vital to our success.
To find out more, please visit www.neweconomics.org/gen/m1_i2_join.aspx