PHA-Exchange> WHO Exec Board mtg in January in Geneva

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Jan 6 01:20:27 PST 2006

From: Andreas Wulf

Dear friends in the PHM,

I wish you a very happy New Year.

Some of you might have been involved already in the discussion around the Kenyan proposal for a WHA resolution on Research and Development for neglected diseases, making clear that R+D of medicines cannot work only along lines of profitablility as it is the case with private Pharma but need to be a public good and access to this is a human right rather than a commodity. There is a coalition of NGOs (DNDI, CPTech, MSF) who were involved in this and want to back the proposal in the upcoming WHO EB meeting in Geneva 23 - 27 January. Medico also joined this coalition and we were asked to bring in some PHM contacts for these events, preferably people who are already planning to go to Geneva in this time.

There would be a possibility to use an accreditation option via the CPTech group.

If you know any PHM members planning to go to Geneva and would be interested to join these activities, please contact us in Frankfurt and we can make the contact to the lobbyteam for the Kenyan Resolution. Best would be email communication  to Christoph Goldmann ch.goldmann at gmx.de  and our executive Director Thomas Gebauer Gebauer at medico.de who are most involved in this. Christoph can be reached in the office tomorrow also on phone +49 69 944 38 -0 (ext. -24)

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Wulf

Health Action International (HAI) Europe

Jacob van Lennepkade 334T

1053 NJ Amsterdam

The Netherlands

Tel: +31 20 683 36 84