PHA-Exchange> TB Charter 3

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Oct 28 14:06:12 PDT 2005

--from Leslie London <ll at cormack.uct.ac.za> -----

I think the idea of a Patients' Charter of the TB Community is interesting
and valuable.

I have two general comments to make about the idea, and then have made
specific comments about the specific rights and responsibilities details
below.

1. The Charter doesn't really speak to any issues of Health Systems.
For example, people with TB should also have rights that extend beyond the
provider-patient relationship - they should expect that services for them
are not constrained by global inequalities that limit the availability of
drugs for TB, and inequalities in investment in drug development. So, rights
around investment in drugs for common diseases should appear in the Charter.

2. There is also an absence of any discussion around prevention and factors
that increase risks for TB. Patients with TB often have risk factors that
will predispose to a range of other illnesses if not repeat episodes or to
treatment failure. I think people with TB can expect interventions to
address the social and economic determinants of their illness. Isn't that
why the WHO established the Commission?

Lastly, I notice that the Charter is framed as one for the "Tuberculosis
Community." I may have missed previous discussion, but it's not clear to me
who is the community, or how homogenous it is. Patients? Families?
Providers? Researchers? Lots of people have vested interests in TB, but
these are not neccessarily consonant. Others have vested interests in
keeping TB a hidden issue.