PHA-Exchange> WB/IMF losing relevance

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Wed Oct 12 03:14:50 PDT 2005

Message

      ISSUE No. 266

      Website:
      www.civicus.org
      www.civilsocietywatch.org
      www.civicusassembly.org

      World Bank/IMF losing relevancy says South
      Developing countries have expressed strong dissatisfaction with their current 'under-representation' at the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF), warning that they are losing all significance. 'We have a situation that a small number of countries are controlling these institutions,' said Ariel Buira, Director of the Intergovernmental Group of Twenty Four (G24) on International Monetary Affairs and Development Secretariat in Washington. 'They make the rules while the majority of the members follow them. If the relevance of these institutions has to be maintained, we need reform,' he said at a press conference announcing the statement of the 74th meeting of the G24 ministers. For more information, visit www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=30398