PHA-Exchange> The neglected epidemic of chronic diseases (3)

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Tue Oct 11 04:03:36 PDT 2005

From: "livingstone Musoro" <lmusoro at yahoo.com>

In this debate, we should not forget the importance of
the wider socio-economic determinants of health and
ill-health as part of the causes of disease. Public
health in developing countries must move quickly to
focus on the wider socio-economic determinants of
health / ill-health. It seems as if both Dr Arnold and
Dr Banerji did not think the debate must focus more on
these issues. Dr Banerji  falls short of including the
full argument when talking of lack of infrastructure
and health care services. Yes, this cannot be denied.
However, this gives half the story about the epidemic
of chronic diseases. Socio-economic circmustances that
determine our lifestyles are very important in the
occurence of chronic diseases and we need to pay more
attention to this approach.

Dr Livingstone Musoro,
London Metropolitan University, UK.