PHA-Exchange> Dementia a Growing Public Health Problem Call to observ World Alzheimer's Day 21 September

Ghassan afodafro at scs-net.org
Mon Sep 5 21:21:25 PDT 2005

Dear Colleagues of PHA,

All health policy makers, professionals, community health organizations and all interested and working on public health and social fields are called to observe the World Alzheimer's Day on 21 of September which is an opportunity to raise awareness of the public on the rights and need of persons with dementia. As all of us know that Dementia is a Growing Public Health Problem or dementia epidemic that will place huge social and health impacts on the families as well as the community in our aging society.

Estimates suggest that 18 million people are living with dementia globally.  By 2025, this figure is set to almost double to 34 million most of them living in developing countries.

As we are going to observe this international day in Syria, It pleases me to share with you this information, you find below, on World Alzheime's Day:

World Alzheimer's Day was launched for the first time in 1984 at ADI's Edinburgh conference to mark ADI's 10th anniversary.  World Alzheimer's Day has grown significantly since then and over 60 countries participated last year; this is a great achievement and one that we should celebrate. World Alzheimer's Day is an opportunity to show that your association is part of a global movement. It is an occasion to feel proud of the international network that you are part of and to positively demonstrate that Alzheimer associations worldwide  are working together to improve the lives of people with dementia and their families on the same day.

"Every year on 21 September, people from around the world take part in activities from Memory Walks to seminars to mark World Alzheimer's Day.  >From Australia to Zimbabwe participants unite and show their global solidarity. With the numbers of people with dementia worldwide set to double over the next 20 years, we must work together to raise awareness of dementia and how it affects people's lives.  World Alzheimer's Day is co-ordinated by Alzheimer's Disease International, the international federation of Alzheimer associations in 69 countries.

for more information:  http://www.alz.co.uk/intranet

Hope you find this information interesting and help observe this day as well as help promote the rights and needs of persons with dementia and protect their dignity.

  Best Regards

 Ghassan Shahrour

 Damascus - Syria
 Email 1:  afodafro at scs-net.org