PHA-Exchange> Golden opportunity for peace in Nepal - Maoists declare ceasefire!

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sat Sep 3 05:35:30 PDT 2005

From: mathura shrestha

People of Nepal thank the CPN (Maoist)

Mathura P. Shrestha

Coordinator of Civic Solidatity for Peace (CSPeace); and President of PSR, Nepal

I thank the leadership of CPN (Maoists) for declaring a three-month long ceasefire in response to the wishes of the people from all walks of life, Seven Political Party Coalition now struggling for democracy, and national and international civil societies. In fact all people of Nepal thank the Maoists for the wise and courageous decision. On behalf of CSPeace, its member networks and all the people of Nepal appeal the Nepal's military and security forces to respond the Maoists' offer positively. I also earnestly appeal the king to take the opportunity positively to retreat from the present regression to democracy and reinstate the dissolved parliament for the formation of the representative government that would legally and credibly negotiate with the Maoists within a week. I hope that no force will dare to be stupid to break the proposed ceasefire declaration. Unfortunately, I can't request the present government as it is not legal or constitutional, and it has no credibility or legal authority to participate in peace dialogue with the Maoists.