PHA-Exchange> URGENT CALL TO ACTION FOR THE RIGHT TO HEALTH CARE IN THE USA

Jennifer Cox jenkwru at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 10:56:19 PDT 2005

Dear Friends at PHM,

This urgent call for national days of action for the right to health care was put out by Cheri Honkala, national coordinator of the Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign (PPEHRC) after her visit last week with Lori Smith (a testifier at PHA2 in Cuenca) and others occupying the governor's office in Nashville, Tennessee in the USA.

We urgently call on you, our friends at PHM, to join us September 21-23 in Nashville, or if you are not able to come yourself, please make a contribution so that medicaid recipients and other poor people around the country can participate. Throughout the coming months we will be sending similiar emergency human rights delegations to states around the US where health care is being threatened - let us know if you need a delegation to visit your state.

URGENT CALL TO ACTION FOR THE RIGHT TO HEALTH CARE IN THE USA

Hi everyone- I just returned from Tennessee where I met with Tenncare enrollees who are part of a growing organization called Tennesseans Fighting For Our Lives.

Enrollees with healthcare problems have been engaged in a sit in outside the Governor's office now for nearly 10 weeks. Their demand is simple--restore the Tenncare cuts, people are dying and will continue to die.

These are our brothers and sisters who are engaged in a fight for their lives and for healthcare to be a human right. We call on you today to join us in an emergency human rights delegation to bear witness to the devastation occuring in Tennessee.
These cuts are the largest in US history and already serve as the trend for every other state in the country.

Join the PPEHRC for 3 days of Action in Tennessee's capital of Nashville:

Wednesday, September 21-
AM: Healthcare reality tours: visiting the poor and the sick who have just been cut off of Tenncare.
Human Rights Documentation: going to every hospital and health center, putting a face and a voice on each story of struggle

PM: Educational on Health Care as a Human Right and an interfaith worship service

Thursday, September 22-
RALLY & DEMONSTRATION TO SAVE OUR LIVES
Capitol Building @ 3pm

Friday, September 23-
National Strategy Meeting to coordinate our efforts in promoting Health Care as a Human Right.

If you cannot come, please send a financial contribution to help others attend. Contact me at cheri at kwru.org or 979-487-8131, or Lori Smith at llsmith36 at aol.com or 615-478-0071.

A flier will be available in a day or so.

Yours in Struggle,
Cheri Honkala
National Coordinator
Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign