PHA-Exchange> GHW 2- Bretton Woods and Health (3)

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Mon Aug 22 01:01:29 PDT 2005

From: "Ronald Labonte" <rlabonte at uottawa.ca>

Hello all:

I think this idea has considerable merit, especially in light of the
stranglehold over economic policy the BWIs appear to want for countries
now eligible for G8=promised debt cancellation.

John Lister has just published his doctoral thesis as a book (can't recall
the title at the moment), which includes a rather in depth analysis of the
health care model promoted by the WB, and what it means for access to
health.  A very good resource.

It's also timely in light of the WHO CSDH.

I think an addition to the outline below would be to draw plausible
connections between the BWIs and SAPs, and the exodus of health
professionals from SSA.  As well, Christian Aid recently released an
interesting econometric study on the counterfactual of Africa not being
forced to liberalize under SAPs that essentially concluded that the
resulting income losses were at least great as any development assistance
received over the 20 year study period.

Good grist for the mill.