PHA-Exchange> Bangkok Charter Update - analysis of response to PHM submission in latest draft

Kumanan Rasanathan kumananr at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 20:17:19 PDT 2005

Vannakam!

I have had a detailed look at the latest version of the Bangkok Charter
on the WHO website to see how much of our submission has been
addressed. Of course, the final version will soon be available at the
end of the conference on Thursday. I have examined the latest version
to help inform what our response should be after Thursday, as recently
discussed on the list.

Firstly, the new version is an improvement on the previous draft, and
many of our concerns have been addressed, albeit in a partial manner.
In all, there has been progress on 9 out of 18 of our points in the
submission. In summary, by each point of the submission
(http://www.phmovement.org/pha2/issues/bangkok_charter.php):

1. There is now less reference to human rights overall.
2. Reduction of inequalities between and within countries has been
included as a core value of health promotion.
3. Not addressed.
4. The relationship of the Bangkok Charter to the Ottawa Charter is
made clearer, although perhaps not as much as we'd like.
5. That globalisation can cause "often adverse social change" has been
added.
6. This point has been directly included in the draft: "[Globalisation
can] reduce social and economic development prospects particularly for
marginalised and indigenous peoples", merged with a reference to
indigenous peoples.
7. Other international agreements have been loosely referenced: "
as
emphasised by the importance given to health in the Millenium
Development Goals and other international agreements."
8. Not addressed.
9. Not addressed.
10. Not addressed.
11. Amended as suggested - "Globalisation also demonstrates the central
importance of poverty reduction for health improvement
"
12. Not addressed.
13. "Peace and security" have been included as a core value of health
promotion.
14. Not addressed.
15. Not addressed.
16. Indigenous peoples have been given a single mention as per point 6.
17. Not addressed.
18. Not really addressed, although at least "promote well-being of
employees, their families and communities" has been added.

We should acknowledge this progress. Given that this is not a PHM
document, it is encouraging that there has been engagement on so many
of the issues we (and presumably others) raised.

However, there remains significant concern that trade and its effects
on health have still not been mentioned, and that our suggested
strategies to reduce the impact of health on globalisation have not
appeared in any form. There is also still explicit encouragement of
private-public partnerships, and only passing mention of indigenous
health, workers and the impact of militarisation on health.

I am optimistic that the final version will be a further improvement.
However it is likely that there will still be problems from a PHM
point-of-view. With this backdrop, are there any further comments about
what PHM should do anticipating the final Charter?

Kind regards

Kumanan