PHA-Exchange> Discussion on the Gender-related Development Index (GDI) and the Gender Empowerment Measure (GEM).

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sat Jul 30 07:27:53 PDT 2005

 from "Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)" <ruglucia at PAHO.ORG> -----

Discussion on the Gender-related Development Index (GDI) and the Gender
Empowerment Measure (GEM).
            United Nations Development Programme, 2005.

We recently started a discussion on our HDRStats-Net (our statistics network
on human development measurement issues) on the GDI and GEM.  The Human
Development Report Office has initiated a project to review these two
indices,  The first step of this process is to draw on human development
professionals, such as members of the HDCA, to identify specific limitations
of the indices, their policy relevance, how their methodologies have been
adapted to local contexts and considerations for reviewing them.  The network
discussion will take place over the next weeks.

To participate in this discussion moderated by Stephan Klasen, Professor of
Economics, University of Göttingen and Haishan Fu, Chief of Statistics, HDRO,
UNDP.  Please visit the website at http://hdr.undp.org/network/messageview.cfm?
catid=8&threadid=100 <http://hdr.undp.org/network/messageview.cfm?
catid=8&threadid=100>  .

In order to join the network, please go to http://hdr.undp.org/network/reg.cfm
<http://hdr.undp.org/network/reg.cfm>  .
To contribute to the discussion, please send your message to surf-hdr-
stats at undp.org <mailto:surf-hdr-stats at undp.org>  (if you have any
difficulties, please email sharmila.kurukulasuriya at undp.org).

(forwarded email from Stephan Klasen and Haishan Fu)

It is our pleasure to moderate this three-part discussion on the Gender-
related Development Index (GDI) and the Gender Empowerment Measure (GEM).
These internationally-recognized composite measures of gender inequality are
critical to the promotion of women's empowerment worldwide. And as Kevin noted
in his introductory message <http://hdr.undp.org/network/messageview.cfm?
catid=8&threadid=100> , in response to your demand we would like to revisit
these indices - so that any technical limitations or weaknesses in our own
understanding of these measures do not limit the use of these indices in the
fight to achieve gender equality. Indeed, there has been a great demand from
you for such a review and discussion, and we believe that this important
effort will further help you advocate more effectively for policies that
promote gender equality and women's empowerment.

The topic of this first discussion is 'How has GDI and GEM been used in policy
discussions, research, advocacy and/or monitoring activities?' Specifically,
we would like you to respond to any or all of the following questions:

*         How, specifically, have these measures been used in policy
discussions, research, advocacy or monitoring activities?

*         How has publishing these measures in global, regional or national
HDRs impacted policymaking for women's empowerment?

*         What have been the advantages and/or limitations of using such
aggregate measures, rather than focusing discussions on more straightforward
gender-related statistics?

*         Please provide papers, citations and other materials that show how
GDI and GEM have been used in policymaking, research, advocacy or monitoring
activities

We aim to wrap up this first of three discussions by Monday, August 1, 2005.
Please do share the discussion among your colleagues who might be interested
in participating in the debate.

Thank you for your participation, and we look forward to an informative and
thought-provoking discussion.

Sincerely,
Stephan Klasen
Haishan Fu

Discussion Topics and Timelines

To this end, we would like to begin a discussion with you on these issues - to
tap into the unique experience and knowledge that human development
professionals on this network possess. Given the multiple objectives of this
discussion, we will stagger the discussions - devoting a few weeks to each of
the following topics:

Weeks 1-2 (July 18- Aug 1):
Discussion topic: In your experience, how has GDI and GEM been used in policy
discussions, research, advocacy and/or monitoring activities?

Weeks 3-4 (Aug 2 - Aug 15)
Discussion topic: How has the GDI and GEM methodology been adapted to the
local context, and what lessons can be drawn from these efforts for this
current review?

Weeks 5-6 (Aug 16 - Aug 29)
Discussion topic: Next steps --- what are some key considerations to keep in
mind during the review of these measures over the coming months?