PHA-Exchange> KWRU holds Philadelphia Truth Commission

Jennifer Cox jenkwru at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 16:40:24 PDT 2005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Attn: press room

Kensington Welfare Rights Union to Announce the Philadelphia Truth Commission to Expose Economic Human Rights Violations

What:

The Kensington Welfare Rights Union (KWRU) is dedicated to organizing of welfare recipients, the homeless, the working poor and all people concerned with economic justice. Today, KWRU will hold a local Truth Commission at Liberty Resources to show how economic human rights violations are happening in the city of Philadelphia. KWRU fights with those who are struggling for survival in this country and whose voices have been silenced. Many people around the world do not believe we as poor people exist. A Truth Commission is a place where we can tell the truth about what’s happening in our country. It is also a place for us to share our personal struggles and to testify to our daily indignities.

The Truth Commission will also identify the human rights violators. The testimony will be submitted to the Poor Peoples Economic Human Rights Campaign for their national Truth Commission in Ohio in June 2006. The Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign represents poor people’s organizations from around the country that are all committed to uniting the poor across color lines and advancing the leadership base for a broad movement to abolish poverty. The national collection of testimonies given by poor and homeless individuals during these local truth commissions will be presented to the United Nations as a unified voice demanding the need for justice for poor families in America.

“Having a local truth commission in Philadelphia is important because Philadelphia has a long history of being in the forefront around ensuring that people have basic rights. The Kensington Welfare Rights Union has been spearheading this national movement called the Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign that puts a face on the real people who are going through these violations and giving the truth about where the root causes of poverty come from”

-Galen Tyler, Director of the Kensington Welfare Rights Union

Who: Members of the Kensington Welfare Rights Union and others from Philadelphia

who are experiencing economic human rights violations.

When: TODAY, Thursday, July 28th at 3:00PM -5:30PM

Where: Liberty Resources, 1341 North Delaware Ave

For more information Contact: Katie Henniger 215-285-6477 or Emily Carlson 651-245-5107

http://mail.yahoo.com