PHA-Exchange> Re: FW: Bangkok Charter - Action Needed!

Kumanan Rasanathan kumananr at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 15:14:46 PDT 2005

Dear all

Just to update everyone on where the potential PHM submission on this
is going, we hope to now submit something by the end of this week (end
of the PHA-2). The PHM has communicated with WHO and received an
extension for its submission. I have met informally with many of those
who have contributed comments, and we hope to meet early this week to
decide the content and form of a PHM submission.

I understand David W's comments about how a strong statement is needed
from the PHM. Alison B's statement from New Zealand provides us with a
good framework, but she was unable to more strongly critique the
assumptions of the Charter (especially relating to globalisation and
public-private partnerships) I suspect due to the broad membership of
her organisation (I hope you do not mind me saying this, Alison).

I think PHM should submit a strong critique, undermining the current
neo-liberal paradigm of the draft - as I suspect it would be one of the
few groups to do so. I look forward to our meeting and will update you
all after this.

Kind regards

Kumanan