PHA-Exchange> FW: Bangkok Charter - Action Needed!

David Werner healthwrights at igc.org
Fri Jul 15 08:26:56 PDT 2005

from David Werner:

Hi Jim and Jason of HealthWrights,

Have you been keeping up with the important exchange of concerns about the
Bangkok Charter. It has been a good round of discussion, with some very
valuable critique -- and yet some unfortunate compromises: even from
"committees" coming from a progressive perspective (as seen in this last
watered-down statement by Alison B's New Zealand group). I hope the PHA can
muster the courage and focus to come out with an uncompromising statement
that is both analytically accurate and sufficiently forceful to be
strategically useful. The issues in question, which urgently need to be
confronted here, are surely on the front edge of the "Politics of Health"
and would be good grist for the forum we invasions on
www.politicsofhealth.org. The debate itself has been a good learning
experience.

David W