PHA-Exchange> some late thoughts : Bangkok Charter

Katz, Alison katza at who.int
Sun Jul 10 00:38:08 PDT 2005

Dear all,

Some additional points about the Bangkok charter for consideration by Alison in NZ.  I am not mentioning the points others have made with which I agree.

1) Ottawa charter already introduced the idea of health as a resource above (and instead of) Health as a Human Right.  This utilitarian concept has been reinforced over past decades, esp. Sachs school in which health is an input for capitalist production. Invest in health for growth. Health as "capital". PHM would surely reject both. Health as a Human Right is an absolute value needing no justification in terms of its contribution to productivity/growth. (There is a certain amount of humbug in the "health as a resource for society" plea. Keeping slaves or workers in appalling conditions did not and does not always hinder profits. They were and are extremely cheap. Early deaths and untreated disease matter little, there are plenty more to exploit. And keeping whole communities on their knees allows the rich and powerful to plunder in relative peace).

2) Reinforce Ronald's point about neutral use of term globalization and assumption that it is inevitable. The globalization that is being referred to is a neoliberal, capitalist, corporate driven, neocolonial project. There are powerful interests behind it. These are resisted because by and large they harm the interests of popular majorities. This impossibly dishonest "neutral" language (langue de bois) serves to disguise root causes, major actors and interests - and conflicts between these. Perhaps PHM would like to have the term internationalism in the charter: the internationalization of rights and social justice. Nothing imposed from above (the glob)! But support and solidarity between peoples, communities and regions. The draft charter talks about an "increasingly interdependent world". Again, glib and dishonest. Through corporate globalization", fatal dependencies are deepened through the age-old patriarchal game of dominance and submission.

3) "Weakened government control over a growing number of health determinants" 3rd section of charter. The myth of the weak state is perpetuated. It is only weak today in terms of its responsibilities to the people. The state is still extremely powerful and used to the full by TNCs. If it were not, we would never have seen the aggression on Iraq and the subsequent colonial takeover of the entire economy of a nation at the speed of lightening.

4) "Central importance of health for poverty reduction" (3rd section). The reversal of public health history and logic. Health is not central for poverty reduction. It plays a serious exacerbating role in existing conditions of poverty which are determined by macroeconomic factors way beyond the control of communities and even nations.

5) On our partners for health. Let us once and for all talk about people and not stakeholders. This language of financial investment again reinforces the idea that life on earth exists to serve capitalist production. As for active participation (2nd section), it is almost a heresy but I'll say it anyway " Why the private sector". Why not the public sector?  Why not people's movements and people's representatives?  Trade unions should be there up front. Social justice political parties and movements. Let us deconstruct these terms: the private sector means 3000 Chief Executive Officers of the world's most powerful economic entities (TNCs). The public sector means not only all public sector workers providing services but all recipients - millions and billions of really existing people!

6) The private sector is not a partner for global or national public health policy. Partners share goals. We need various interactions with the private sector who like any other actors in society are called on to provide services for the general public good. Example: Companies manufacturing plumbing equipment are not partners in formulating policy to achieve the right to water! TNC influence in public policy making is illegitimate.  Individual people employed in the private sector (or those owning vast parts of it) have the same right of influence in health matters - NO more No less - than any other citizen employed anywhere else.  Furthermore, if they have a financial material interest in a health  matter, they should be excluded from discussions and policy formulation for reasons of conflict of interest. (So I agree with others about removing entirely paragraph on corporate practices and the need for partnerships).

7) Political leadership etc (4th section).  These are emphatically NOT the key ingredients of success. Many strong leaders do all the wrong things with great force and with disastrous effects on people's health.  It is the people's political power which is the key ingredient (and absent from this document).

8) "One world" myth behind this charter and much "new public health" talk today.  "There is no us and them?"  This is empty, facile and misleading. It is just like the "AIDS knows no boundaries" song. Africa and Asia have epidemics which are incomparable to those affecting the rich countries (25% and 0.1%). "Us and them" has never been more stark as inequalities accelerate. (Ratio of richest to poorest 3:1 in 1900, 10:1 1960 and more than 82 :1 in 1990s) This is not to deny that an ever larger group of people (North and South) join the ranks of the excluded in both rich and poor countries every day and that very soon (now?) the excluded will revolt.

Frankly, PHM might wish to start again and not bother tinkering with this deeply flawed document. Certainly I cannot see PHM being able to endorse many sections of it. But comment we must, I agree.

Look forward to discussions, best to all, Alison