PHA-Exchange> Re: bangkok charter

Jaime Breilh jbreilh at ceas.med.ec
Tue Jul 5 01:25:37 PDT 2005

I basically agree with Dave´sline of thinking.
One important concern is to make sure that crucial concepts are clearly
stated. As an example I find that the term globalization -rightly considered
by the charter a fundamental health determinant- becomes ambiguous and
innocuous unless we spell out and mention its basic elements: property
transnational concentration; land tenure concentration; corresponding
massive social exclusion; market fundamentalism; public resources
privatization, drainage or appropriation; and resulting loss of human rights
applicability through the process of conversion of rights in commodities.
Additionally, the related problems of formal electoral democracy and
unicultural euro-centric human development. These kind of problems are the
real roots of health inequity and they should be stated in any charter that
aims at collective alternative action.

In other words I found the Bangok declaration interesting in broad terms but
lacking profound social and cultural innovation lines, and correspondingly
it can easily be absorbed by the power structure and become functional to
it.

Dr. Jaime Breilh (Md. PhD)
Centro de Estudios y Asesoría en Salud (CEAS)
(Health Research and Advisory Center)
Asturias N2402 y G. de Vera (La Floresta)
Quito, Ecuador (S. América)
Tel fax: (593-2) 2506175 y (593-2) 2566714
Móvil: (593-9) 9707743
jbreilh at ceas.med.ec