PHA-Exchange> Bangkok Charter - Action Needed!

Kumanan Rasanathan kumananr at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 19:20:37 PDT 2005

Vannakkam and Kia Ora Koutou

Please find enclosed the latest draft of the Bangkok Charter from the
WHO website. As you may be aware, the Bangkok Charter is to be launched
at the Bangkok conference on health promotion in August, as a
significant update of the Ottawa Charter. The Bangkok Charter is an
attempt to address the significant global developments that have
occurred in the last twenty years. Significant work has been undertaken
to produce a document with the aim of meaningfully influencing the
practice of health promotion to engage with these issues to improve
health. As such, the rationale behind this document should be supported
by all those who advocate "health for all".

However, many of us in New Zealand are concerned about the latest draft
of the document. In particular we are concerned about its neutral
treatment of globalisation (as shown by the proposed commitment to
ensure that "globalisation becomes more health friendly"!), its lack of
consideration of indigenous health, and its failure to clearly endorse
the MDGs and recent international human rights and environmental
treaties. We are concerned that this document will thus be cynically
used as a roll-back position, which is possible given the international
endorsement it will receive. Comparing the draft Charter to the
People's Health Charter, there are obvious problems. Furthermore, the
latest draft is more tepid than previous versions, removing references
to the need for equity and the consideration of the impact of war on
health.

We have not seen anything on the PHM list about this document. We
believe that the PHM could make a material difference to improve this
document. The consultation process for the document has been unclear up
to now, but essentially it is being driven by WHO. WHO is now seeking
comment by the 14th of July at:

http://www.who.int/healthpromotion/conferences/6gchp/bangkok_charter_comments/en/

We understand that the PHM is fully occupied at the moment preparing
for the PHA-2. However, the Ottawa Charter is widely used in New
Zealand and elsewhere, and we believe that a well framed Bangkok
Charter could be a valuable tool in the fight for "health for all".
Moreover, as currently framed, we are concerned it could have a
negative effect. As such, we would appreciate your suggestions on how
the PHM can advocate to improve this document. One of us (Kumanan) will
be at the IPHU and PHA-2 in Cuenca, and it would great if we could make
time there to discuss this. However, it may be important to submit
something by the deadline of July 14. We are hoping that among the PHM
ranks, some of you may have a better idea about the best way to proceed
with this.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Nandri

Kumanan Rasanathan and Alison Blaiklock