PHA-Exchange> Announcing the Spirit of Alma Ata Caucus of the Global Health Council

Tawnia Queen tawnia at hesperian.org
Thu May 26 15:43:04 PDT 2005

REVIVE THE SPIRIT OF ALMA ATA! HEALTH FOR ALL!

Announcing the Spirit of Alma Ata Caucus of the Global Health Council
forming to focus on health equity and the social determinants of health.

Because health is a social, economic and political issue, and above all a
fundamental human right, we are calling all who feel passionately about
acting on these issues to join one of the first caucus ever formed inside
the Global Health Council. We take our name from the Alma Ata Declaration
(1978) the most widely endorsed international declaration in history on the
right to health. We want to promote health by addressing its underlying
determinants, based on equity, sustainability and community empowerment.

Endorsed by the GHC leadership, the Caucus seeks to share experiences and
form networks to research, analyze, evaluate and document what we know and
learn about people's right to health.  We want to serve as a resource to
the GHC membership regarding community empowerment approaches to global
health work.  We will also work to nurture and support leadership among
younger international health professionals.

The first step for The Spirit of Alma Ata Caucus is to form a
listserv/e-groupto exchange information, resources and opinions. To
participate, please contact Tawnia Queen:
<mailto:tawnia at hesperian.org>tawnia at hesperian.org

We also hope to produce a twice-yearly newsletter, providing updates about
caucus members' activities and other relevant information.

Find out more! Get involved! If you are attending the Global Health Council
meeting May 31-June 3, 2005:
-- Visit the GHC booth on Wednesday, June 1, 12 noon: Caucus co-founder,
Jean Mouch, will be there to answer questions and talk to you about the
formation of the caucus.

-- Attend the GHC board and membership breakfast meeting on Thursday, June
2, 7:00 am: speak with Jean Mouch, Connie Gates and Sarah Shannon about the
Caucus.

-- Join us for lunch (sorry, were not buying) on Friday, June 3, 12:00-1:30
pm at Trattoria Italiana, 2651 Connecticut Avenue, across from the Omni
Shoreham Hotel.

-- Visit the Hesperian Foundation booth # 206 anytime for information or to
sign up to join the e-list.

-- Join the Spirit of Alma Ata Caucus by emailing:
<mailto:tawnia at hesperian.org>tawnia at hesperian.org

30,000 children will die in the next 24 hours from preventable diseases.
Click www.TheMillionSignatureCampaign.org , to join a campaign that demands
HEALTH FOR ALL NOW !

Tawnia Queen
International Publications Associate
Hesperian Foundation -- Publishing for Community Health and Empowerment
1919 Addison Street, #304
Berkeley, CA 94704 USA
Phone: 510-845-1447, ext. 203   Fax: 510-845-9141
E-mail: tawnia at hesperian.org    http://www.hesperian.org