PHA-Exchange> (no subject)

chetna chetna at icenet.net
Thu May 5 04:56:38 PDT 2005

Dear Dr. Ravi Narain,

Greetings from CHETNA!

We missed your participation in the national civil society dialogue on women's health and rights, focussing on safe motherhood and Young People's Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.  SAMA is involved in the process.

I would like to request you to guide me as to how:

1. The issue of stagnant maternal mortality and denial of maternal health services can be take ahead in the PHA.

2.  As you must be aware, the present scenario' focussing on Maternal Mortality Reduction, which focuses on Skilled Attendance at Birth and local Dais( Traditional Birth Attendants) are totally excluded from the strategy.  While the importance of skilled attendance at birth is realised, the critical role of Dais must also be recognised. She certainly has skills to conduct a normal childbirth.  We have been discussing the issue of TBAs (Dr. Zafarulla Chowdhry, Ms. Maria,  Dr. Shyam Ashtekar, Dr. Abhijeet and many others).  In fact, in April 2005,  when I met Dr. Chaudhary, we planned for a regional/international dai convention.

3. Can you please help how we can raise the issue of  stagnant maternal mortality and the TBAs as well in the PHA-2. Can we organise a workshop on the same?  How can we participate in the PHA-2

Looking forward to hearing from you,

With warm regards,

Vd. Smita Bajpai

Coordinator(THHP)

CHETNA-WHDRC

CC: pha-ncc groups

        Dr. Zafrualla chouwdhry,

       Ms. Maria Zuninga

       Dr.Prem Jhon

       Dr. Mira Shiva

       Dr. Abhijeet, SAHAYOG

      Dr. Shyam Ashtekar

     Dr. Abhay Shukla- cehatpun at vsnl.com

     Ms. Sarojini-Sama

     Ms. Sabla -IWHM

CHETNA
Lilavatiben Lalbhai's Bungalow, Civil Camp Road, Shahibaug, Ahmedabad-380004, Gujarat, India; Phone: (079) 22866695, 22865636; Fax: (079) 22866513
Email: chetna at icenet.net; website: www.chetnaindia.org