PHA-Exchange> EXPERTS URGE MAJOR EFFORT TO MEET UN MILLENNIUM GOALS ON MATERNAL, CHILD DEATHS

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Wed Apr 13 06:21:41 PDT 2005

from Vern Weitzel <vern.weitzel at undp.org> -----

EXPERTS URGE MAJOR EFFORT TO MEET UN MILLENNIUM GOALS ON MATERNAL, CHILD DEATHS
New York, Apr 12 2005 12:00PM
With inadequate progress being made towards meeting the United Nations
Millennium Development Goals
(<"http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/">MDGs) of slashing maternal and child
deaths by 2015, a
<"http://www.unfpa.org/news/news.cfm?ID=606">meeting of experts from around
the world has called for
a major cooperative effort that could save the lives of 7 million women,
newborns and children each
year.

“Only through coordinated and concerted action and unprecedented resource
mobilization at the
national and international levels can we hope to meet our commitments by the
target year,” health
officials, medical professionals and advocates declared at the close of a
three-day forum at the
weekend in New Delhi, India.

Appealing for “strong partnerships that include governments, development
partners, donors, civil
society, the private sector and others,” the conference declaration called
on donors to close an
estimated $9 billion annual shortfall in funding for maternal and child health
programmes.

The underlying theme of the meeting – “Lives in the Balance: The
Partnership Meeting on Maternal,
Newborn and Child Health” – was the lack of progress many countries have
made towards meeting the
MDGs on maternal and child deaths, seen as key steps in eliminating extreme
poverty, another major
MDG set by the UN Millennium Summit of 2000.

“Cost-effective interventions, if taken to scale worldwide, can prevent
close to three-fourths of
maternal deaths, and over two-thirds of child deaths,” the declaration said.
“Thus, we have – almost
within reach – the means to save nearly 7 million lives each year.”

To achieve this, countries need to “invest in strengthening health systems,
from community to the
referral levels,” tailoring programmes to fit national and community needs,
and specifically
ensuring that they reach and benefit the poor, the marginalized and the
underserved.

“This has been a very productive and inspiring meeting, one that has taken
full advantage of the
depth and diversity of experience among the participants,” UN Population
Fund
(<"http://www.unfpa.org">UNFPA) Deputy Executive Director Kunio Waki told the
closing session. “Our
shared commitment to health and equity has strengthened our mutual
determination to redress the
shameful and unjust gaps in coverage for mothers, newborns and children.”
  2005-04-12 00:00:00.000

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news