PHA-Exchange> WHO Commission on SDOH 3

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sun Apr 10 01:22:18 PDT 2005

From: Fran Baum

Dear Wim and AK
Just to let you know I have been following your discussion and will draw on your arguments in Commission discussions. I like AK's (sorry I don't know your full name) PTSAEJ  but you are right not a good acronym. One of the things I want to argue on the Commission is that we should not focus all the time on poverty but also look at the impact of the wealthy - I have a piece coming out on this in the Jr Epi & CH soon where I call for a better epidemiology and political economy of wealth. The constant focus on poverty and poor people makes them the problem rather than those who tred very heavily on the earth without bothering about or probably even being aware of their impact on the majority world. When we focus on the poor inevitably the discourse ends up blaming them and cre4ates a "them' and 'us' discourse. The redistribution of wealth required to eradicate poverty is amazingly small and I will work to try and have the Commission acknowledge this and suggest ways this can happen.
Thanks for the debate please keep it flowing - best wishes Fran