PHA-Exchange> Towards Development, Security and Human Rights for All

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Tue Mar 22 11:27:08 PST 2005

<ruglucia at PAHO.ORG> -----

IN LARGER FREEDOM: Towards Development, Security and Human Rights for
All

UN Secretary-General's report, 2005

In September 2005, world leaders will come together at a summit in New
York to review progress since the Millennium Declaration, adopted by all
Member States in 2000. The Secretary-General's report proposes an agenda
to be taken up, and acted upon, at the summit.

English: http://www.un.org/spanish/largerfreedom/
<http://www.un.org/spanish/largerfreedom/>

Spanish: http://www.un.org/spanish/largerfreedom/
<http://www.un.org/spanish/largerfreedom/>

Chinese: http://www.un.org/chinese/largerfreedom/
<http://www.un.org/chinese/largerfreedom/>

Russian: http://www.un.org/russian/largerfreedom/
<http://www.un.org/russian/largerfreedom/>

"...Not only are development, security and human rights all imperative;
they also reinforce each other. This relationship has only been
strengthened in our era of rapid technological advances, increasing
economic interdependence, globalization and dramatic geopolitical
change. While poverty and denial of human rights may not be said to
"cause" civil war, terrorism or organized crime, they all greatly
increase the risk of instability and violence ....

Full report [pdf format]
<http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/report-largerfreedom.pdf>

Contents:

I. Introduction: a historic opportunity in 2005
<http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/chap1.htm>
   A. The challenges of a changing world
   B. Larger freedom: development, security and human rights
   C. The imperative of collective action
   D. Time to decide

II. Freedom from want <http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/chap2.htm>
   A. A shared vision of development
   B. National strategies
   C. Making goal 8 work: trade and financing for development
   D. Ensuring environmental sustainability
   E. Other priorities for global action
   F. The implementation challenge

III. Freedom from fear <http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/chap3.htm>
   A. A vision of collective security
   B. Preventing catastrophic terrorism
   C. Nuclear, biological and chemical weapons
   D. Reducing the risk and prevalence of war
   E. Use of force

IV. Freedom to live in dignity
<http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/chap4.htm>
   A. Rule of law
   B. Human rights
   C. Democracy

V. Strengthening the United Nations
<http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/chap5.htm>
   A. General Assembly
   B. The Councils
   C. The Secretariat
   D. System coherence
   E. Regional organizations
   F. Updating the Charter of the United Nations

VI. Conclusion: our opportunity and our challenge
<http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/chap6.htm>

Annex
For decision by Heads of State and Government
<http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/annex.htm>