PHA-Exchange> On poverty ( 2)

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sat Mar 5 03:53:45 PST 2005

From: David Werner

This is a good brief list of key observations on poverty relative to socio-economic policies.  However it's important that we be more critical of the mainstream perception of "growth" as the overriding goal of development. Imbalanced or unregulated growth at the expense of the whole is cancer.  To work toward Sustainable Heath for All, rather than enshrining "growth" as the measure or human progress, we need to aim at "achieving a balanced and sustainable quality of life for all" on an ailing planet with limited resources and already endangered ecosystems." In many areas, this will require a united effort to LIMIT GROWTH rather than to promote it,  Our focus needs to be on wiser use of resources and fairer distribution.  Otherwise we may end up like the dinosaurs. Big but doomed.

David Werner