PHA-Exchange> Geneva NGO group supports campaign on Indian patents law

Nance (PHM) nance-phm at netpratique.fr
Sun Feb 27 12:18:42 PST 2005

On February 24rth the Steering Committee of the NGO Forum for Health
adopted a resolution in support of the international mobilisation
against the adoption of TRIPS+ by the Indian government, and, on
February 25th, the following letter (see below) was faxed to the Indian
Mission in Geneva.
The NGO Forum for Health is a well known advocacy group in Geneva which
brings together people from the WCC, PHM, ICW, IBFAN, the CERN and many
other large international NGOs and institutions.
The NGO Forum further resolved to circulate documentations to all its
constituent members for the adoption of a joint platform on the issue as
soon as feasable.
Nance Upham, PHM, NGO Forum for Health St. Com.

His Excellency H.S. Puri
Ambassador of India to the United Nations
India Mission in Geneva
9, rue du Valais
1202 Genève
Tel: + 41 22 906 86 86
Fax + 41 22 906 86 96

His Excellency

We would like to express our support for the Global Campaign against
Indian Patents Amendment (GCAIPA, www.gcaipa.org
<http://www.gcaipa.org/>), a Global coalition of networks,
organizations, public health and other interest groups who have come
together to oppose the present form of the Presidential Ordinance
brought in to amend the Indian Patents Act of 1970. We strongly oppose
the present form of the Presidential Ordinance brought in to amend the
Indian Patents Act of 1970. We strongly believe that this Ordinance
seriously compromises accessibility, affordability and availability of
medicines which are important components of Right to Health and Right to
Food.

We would like to bring to your attention that many NGOs and professional
associations have expressed their concern that in the future, if a
restrictive interpretation of TRIPS is adopted by the government of
India, generic antiretrovirals and other essential drugs from India may
no longer be available to them.

Non Governmental and professional organizations have been actively
involved in monitoring the implication of trade agreements on public
health. The impact of the end of the transition period at Jan 1 2005
allowed under the TRIPS Agreement, which delayed the application of
product patents, on the local production and supply of generic
antiretroviral and other medicines.

The WTO Ministerial Declaration of the TRIPS Agreement and Public Health
adopted in Doha 2001 affirmed that the “TRIPS Agreement can and should
be implemented in a manner supportive of WTO Members’ right to protect
public health and, in particular, to promote access to medicines for
all”. In line with this, several resolutions of the World Health
Assembly have also demanded that national legislation should be adapted
in order to use to the full the flexibilities contained in the TRIPS
Agreement.

As India is the leader in the global supply of affordable
antiretrovirals drugs and other essential medicines, we hope that your
government will take the necessary steps to continue to take into
consideration the needs and aspirations of the poorest nations which
need access to these drugs and will refrain from adopting unnecessary
restrictions not required under the TRIPS Agreement.

Many countries have expressed the hope that full use of the Doha
resolution will be exercised and that India will respond to the concerns
expressed by governments and civil society not-for profit NGOs at
regional and global meetings. The WHO reports such concerns from
regional meetings in Kenya (Ghana, Malawi, Namibia) and Malaysia
(Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Korea, Laos, Thailand,
Vietnam), and we have heard the concerns of many partners from around
the world.

We thank you for taking this letter into consideration, and please
accept our respectful consideration,
  For the NGO Forum for Health Steering Committee
Mats
Ahnlund,
Manoj Kurian,
President