PHA-Exchange> New UNICEF Chief

Mira shiva mshiva at nda.vsnl.net.in
Tue Feb 1 09:02:14 PST 2005

Dearest Maria,

Thank you for your mail about appointment of Veneman.

It seems Vandana had discussed it already with Zac Goldsmith of Ecologist.  Veneman was with Monsanto and U.S. see agriculture in Bush government and used Food Summit, Rome to push GMOs.

By being made UNICEF Chief she will ensure that in the name of nutrition/development aid etc., GM food will be pushed undoubtedly.  Given that MDG aims at promoting child nutrition the child market in developing countries in the name of food security, mid day meals a captured marked will be created.

Yes, we must protest Maria, the Chief of UNICEF must have a track record of working for child rights and not a corporate spokesperson for expanding markets.

I think they could be considered for writing to PHA but one person I feel we really must try to get is Mr. Michael Moore - as he is making a film on Health Industry and US and if he is sensitized to public health concerns beyond medical care he may incorporate some of these concerns in his script which we should urge - giving him some facts and figures as well as People's Health Charter.

With warm regards,

Mira Shiva