PHA-Exchange> Health and wealth among the poor

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Thu Jan 20 02:32:45 PST 2005

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)

Health and wealth among the poor: India and South Africa compared

Anne Case, Angus Deaton

Research Program in Development Studies and Center for Health and Wellbeing

Princeton University, December 2004

This is an extended version of a paper, which will be published in the American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings May 2005

Available online as PDF file [19p.] at: http://www.wws.princeton.edu/%7Erpds/downloads/case_deaton_healthwealth.pdf

"....Health and wealth are the two most important components of well-being. Rankings of well-being based on income will differ from more comprehensive rankings depending on the way that income and health are related. There are strong bidirectional causal links between income and health so that we cannot understand either without understanding both. What we call the "wealthier is healthier" hypothesis asserts both that income is the main determinant of health, and that the international correlation between income and health is sufficiently tight for income rankings to indicate well-being more broadly.."

"..One way to calibrate the effects of health conditions is to examine their impact on self-reported health status. We can also look at the gradient, the extent to which living standards or education protect health directly, or moderate the effects of various health impairments..."